I really enjoy the randomness of some old-school styles of play. I love random stat generation and from that determining your race / class, I love B/X Blackrazor’s random headgear, I even had to go back with my crazy party from the Madness Beneath and roll up subraces for them from my random subraces table (I’ll post that update when I do my next Madness Beneath adventure log).
Based on all that, and with inspiration from the classic 1977 Arduin Grimoire, I wanted a set of random tables for special abilities for each class in the B/X or Labyrinth Lord rules.
If using these tables, every character uses them. If you REALLY don’t want to roll a random subclass for your character, convince the GM to let you take the Focused subclass.
So, the first of the Subclass Tables!
Random Cleric Subclasses (d12)
1. Paladin – Can wield weapons with sharp and pointy bits
2. Heretic – At each spell level replace one cleric spell with a spell from the same level magic user spell
3. Elementalist – Can also turn elementals as undead
4. Dragon-Priest – Can Tell and Dominate dragons, drakes, wyverns and other associated creatures (and potentially kobolds) as an evil cleric controls undead.
5. Dervish – Can frenzy in battle 1/day: +2 AC, +1 to hit and damage
6. Divine Light – Turn undead at +2 levels
7. Healer – +1 hp / die on all healing spells
8. Priest – +2 caster levels, cannot wear armour, can only wield clubs, staves and daggers.
9. Penitent – d8 hit die (d10 if using advanced hit dice)
10. Zealot – +1 to hit & damage opposite alignment (Chaos / Law -or- Chaos/Evil, choose one)
11. Focused – +10% to earned XP
12. Choose one or make up a new one