With all the attention given to one-hour dungeon maps, I thought I would actually try my hand at actually timing myself while drawing a map.
The trend was started with a dungeon map over at Planet Algol and a bunch of follow-ups have been tried by some awesome mappers around the blogosphere:
- Planet Algol’s trend-starting Original
- Aeon’s & Auguries (1)(2)(3)
- Carto Cacography’s looks particularly awesome.
- Tower of the Archmage has a sweet pencil-drawn one.
- Quickly, Quietly, Carefully posted one in pencil, and then one that he spent an extra hour inking.
(and a tip of the hat to Dave at Tower of the Archmage for keeping track of all the one hour dungeons out there)
Because I was on a time limit, I didn’t put in my usual cross-hatching background. And then I discovered something. I found an hour almost too long. I ended up going back and adding details and thickening walls and finally having time to scan the map in that hour.
Here’s the raw scan of my 1 hour effort:
And here it is again after 20 minutes of post-production in photoshop (click on it to get the high-res version). Two new toys in Photoshop for this one – I created a grid overlay and a genuine Dyson Logos background fill.