While yesterday’s delve into FFE’s Devil Player’s Guide was fun, the reality is that a level 1 devil is just… pretty close to pathetic. Now, a level 12 devil?
Let’s see how it works out!
First thing is to go through the alternate level-up chart from the Devil’s Player Guide – a lot more stat boosts and feats for this guy. Bonus feats at levels 3, 6, 9 and 12 as normal, bonus devilish feats at levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11. Stat increases at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, and size increases at levels 6 and 12 (size Huge, muther!). The question when looking at the stat increases is Strength versus Dexterity… 5 increases is perfect because it gives an odd number for Dex to bring it up to an even number, and I can put the rest into Strength. I’ll go with +3 Dex, +2 Str. He’s going to be effective with both ranged and melee attacks, in line for how I picture having to play him (as a solo adventurer basically, to make up for his high ECL). He also gets devilish feats from his class at levels 2, 6 and 9. That’s a truckload of devilish feats. Most go into pretty standard defensive abilities for big bad outsiders (DR, SR), but I do get to pick up Improved Dancing Chains finally at level 6 (allowing the use of 2 of the abilities at a time, and increasing their power), followed by a bunch of new spell-like abilities and the perfection of the Kyton-like chain abilities at level 9.
2: DR 5/+1
2: Spell Resistance 5
3: Spell Resistance 10
4: Spell Resistance 18
5: DR 10/+1
6: Chilling Attack
6: DR 15/+2
7: Improved Dancing Chains
8: Devilish Spell-like Abilities (Major)
9: Devilish Spell-like Abilities (Superior)
9: Perfect Dancing Chains
11: Natural Armour +10
His four feats go into Uncanny Alertness (allowing him to reroll his initiative once and take the reroll), Tyrant (an evil version of Leadership) (both from AEG’s FEATS), as well as Expertise and Improved Trip to take full advantage of his spiked chain.
His warder levels give him two more favoured enemy type things (err… Prey Masteries). At level 3 his bite gets better by one die size, and at level 6 his claws do the same. His awesome evil rangerness manifests in the ability to cast a few spells, but also at level 12 he sprouts a bad-ass set of icy bat wings so he can be… an airborne ranger (errr, diabolical warder).
Only when going through his spells did I note the lack of an animal companion… because 3.0 animal companions were the result of a spell. So he also gets 12 hit dice of animal companions.. like a fully advanced 12 hit die polar bear. And with his new level 2 spell “Corrupt Beast”, it becomes a fiendish advanced polar bear. Awesome. His other new level 2 spell grants him an increase in the die sizes of either his bite or claws, and adds a DC14 poison that deals 1d4 strength damage.
Then it is the shopping game. As an ECL 15 character, Fruzek gets 200,000 gp of kit. Out comes Bastion Press’ “Arms & Armor” to get a sweet spiked chain for mr Frosty here. Right off a spiked chain gets cranked up because of his size – instead of the normal 2d4 damage we’re looking at 2d8 damage (one size step away from 4d6). I’m looking at a +5 equivalent enhancement for his chain, and again for his bow. That leaves him roughly another 100,000 gp for other gear. So a Huge Spiked Chain +3, Frost (+1d6 cold damage), Elongating (double normal reach – 12 squares or 60 feet), Forceful (increases damage to 1d20), and a Huge Composite (+5 Strength bonus) Longbow +1 with Dispelling (targeted CL 12 dispel magic against lowest level spell on target) and Frost (+1d6 cold damage). That’s 122,000 gp down, 78k to go. A ring of protection +4, Belt of Giant Strength +4, a level 2 and 3 pearl of power, and a type 2 bag of holding finish off his kit.
The end result is a lot more potent than a level 15 ranger should ever be. Getting anywhere near this guy is going to be messy (60 foot reach with his spiked chain, and +22 to hit with it, dealing d20+1d6+10 damage), and he likes hunting Lawful and Good outsiders (not necessarily Lawful Good, any lawful or good will do) and has recently branched out into hunting humans…
Race: Gelugon (Outsider [Lawful, Evil])
Class: Diabolical Warder
Hit Points: 148
Armor Class: 38 (+13 Natural, +3 Dex, +8 Chains, +4 Deflection)
Initiative: +9 (reroll once)
Fly: 50′ (average)
Base Attack Bonus: +12
Ref Save: +7
Fort Save: +13
Will Save: +11
- Strength 20 (+5) [24 (+7)]
- Dexterity 18 (+4)
- Constitution 20 (+5)
- Intelligence 16 (+3)
- Wisdom 21 (+5)
- Charisma 16 (+3)
- Hide | 15 ranks | +11
- Intuit Direction | 5 ranks | +10
- Knowledge (Nature) | 10 ranks | +13
- Knowledge (Nine Hells) | 10 ranks | +13
- Listen | 15 ranks | +20
- Move Silently | 15 ranks | +19
- Search | 5 ranks | +8
- Spot |15 ranks | +19
- Wilderness Lore |15 ranks | +20
- Ambidexterity (only in light/medium armor)
- Chilling Attack: Opponents struck by natural attacks or melee weapons must make a Fort save (DC 15) or be slowed for 1d6 rounds.
- Damage Reduction 15/+2
- Perfect Dancing Chains: Weapon Proficiency (Chains), Climb chains at normal speed, +8 Climb on chains, Chain Armor (+8 AC), Chain Attack (any chain in 20 feet can be a reach weapon dealing 1d8 dmg, x3 crit and can sprout blades and barbs as a standard action increasing the threat range to 19-20) Chain Dance (chains in 20 ft can fly at 200′ speed with perfect maneuverability)
- Devil Spell-like Abilities: Charm Person 3/day, Darkness 3/day, Invisibility (self) 3/day
- Devil Spell-like Abilities: Charm Monster 3/day, Dispel Magic 3/day, Polymorph (self) 3/day
- Devil Spell-like Abilities: Improved Invisibility (self) 3/day, True Seeing 3/day, Unholy Blight 3/day
- Devilish Qualities: Immune to fire and poison. Cold resistance 10. Acid resistance 10. See in total and magical darkness.
- Devilish Speed: +10′
- Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Chains)
- Improved Initiative: +4 initiative
- Improved Trip
- Iron Will: +2 Will saves
- Natural Armor Class +10
- Regeneration 2
- Spell Resistance 18
- Two Weapon Fighting (only in light/medium armor)
- Uncanny Alertness (reroll initiative)
- Huge Size
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Tail: 2d6/2d6/2d8/1d8
- +1d8 hit points, +1 hp/level
- Natural Armor +3
- Prey Mastery: Outsider (Lawful). +3 Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Wilderness Lore. +3 AC, +15 DR, +15 SR.
- Prey Mastery: Outsider (Good). +2 Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Wilderness Lore. +2 AC, +10 DR, +10 SR.
- Prey Mastery: Humans. +1 Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Wilderness Lore. +1 AC, +5 DR, +5 SR.
- Bad-Ass Wings: 50′ flight speed, average maneuverability
Spellcasting – Caster Level 6, DC 15+spell level
Level 1 Spells
- Animal Friendship
- Entangle x2
Level 2 Spells (+1 recast per day from pearl of power)
- Corrupt Beast (touch, 1 animal permanently gains the fiendish template)
- Fetid Teeth (2 rounds / level, teeth do 4d6 damage + DC 14 poison for d4 Str damage)
Level 3 Spells (+1 recast per day from pearl of power)
- Cure Moderate Wounds
- Greater Magic Fang (+4 bonus to one natural weapon)
- Krellickan Ice Worm
- Huge Spiked Chain +3, Frost (+1d6 cold damage), Elongating (double normal reach – 12 squares or 60 feet), Forceful (increases damage to 1d20)
- Huge Composite (+5 Strength bonus) Longbow +1 with Dispelling (targeted CL 12 dispel magic against lowest level spell on target) and Frost (+1d6 cold damage)
- Ring of protection +4
- Belt of Giant Strength +4
- Pearls of Power – Level 2 & 3
- Type 2 bag of holding