When summoning water elementals in the B/X or Labyrinth Lord game, there is a chance of summoning a specific form of elemental suited to the environment in question. The DM determines what the most likely subtype to appear will be. There is a 50% chance that the appropriate subtype appears instead of a standard water elemental of the appropriate power.
There are 4 basic types of Water Elementals, typically determined by their summoning source.
- Lesser Elemental (Summoned by Staff) – 8 HD, AC 2, 1d8 damage
- Greater Elemental (Summoned by Devices) – 12 HD, AC 0, 2d8 damage
- True Elemental (Summoned by Spells) – 16 HD, AC -2, 3d8 damage
- Legendary Elemental (Summoned by Ritual) – 20 HD, AC -4, 4d8 damage
Standard water elementals take the form of a mass of waves 1/2′ tall per and 2′ diameter per hit die. They move at a rate of 60′ (20′) and swim at a rate of 180′ (60′), although they cannot travel more than 60 feet from a source of water. Targets standing in or submerged in water suffer an additional 1d8 damage from the attacks of a water elemental.
A spellcaster can learn (typically via a quest or magical tome) how to summon a particular subtype of elemental. In this case, if the proper environment is present, the summoning will always bring forth the desired subtype. A spellcaster can learn how to summon a number of subtypes equal to 1/2 his level.
Water elemental subtypes are treated identically to standard water elementals, but have one additional power as indicated below. Unless otherwise indicated, any spell-like abilities are treated as being cast by a spellcaster with a level equal to the elemental’s Hit Dice. Some spell effects are from the Advanced Edition Companion.
Water Elemental Subtypes
- Ice – ice storm 1 / turn
- Bog - attacks warp wood on target and possessions
- River - part water or lower water 1 / turn
- Sweetwater - purify food and water 2′ radius / HD
- Blood - bane (reverse of bless) on all living opponents in 2′ radius / HD
- Whirlpool - struck opponents must save versus paralysis or be stuck to the elemental
- Sewer - creatures within 2′ / HD must save versus poison or suffer -2 to hit in combat from nausea
- Geyser - 8d6 damage blast of boiling water 5′ wide by 5′ / HD long 1 / turn
- Bile - attack destroys leather and cloth if save versus magic is failed