When summoning fire elementals in the B/X or Labyrinth Lord game, there is a chance of summoning a specific form of elemental suited to the environment in question. The DM determines what the most likely subtype to appear will be. There is a 50% chance that the appropriate subtype appears instead of a standard fire elemental of the appropriate power.
There are 4 basic types of Fire Elementals, typically determined by their summoning source.
- Lesser Elemental (Summoned by Staff) – 8 HD, AC 2, 1d8 damage
- Greater Elemental (Summoned by Devices) – 12 HD, AC 0, 2d8 damage
- True Elemental (Summoned by Spells) – 16 HD, AC -2, 3d8 damage
- Legendary Elemental (Summoned by Ritual) – 20 HD, AC -4, 4d8 damage
Standard fire elementals take the form of a pillar of flames 1′ tall and 1′ diameter per hit die. They move at a movement rate of 120′ (40′) and cannot cross water wider than 1′ / HD. Damage from fire elementals is increased by 1d8 points against targets with cold attacks.
A spellcaster can learn (typically via a quest or magical tome) how to summon a particular subtype of elemental. In this case, if the proper environment is present, the summoning will always bring forth the desired subtype. A spellcaster can learn how to summon a number of subtypes equal to 1/2 his level.
Fire elemental subtypes are treated identically to standard fire elementals, but have one additional power as indicated below. Unless otherwise indicated, any spell-like abilities are treated as being cast by a spellcaster with a level equal to the elemental’s Hit Dice. Some spell effects are from the Advanced Edition Companion.
Fire Elemental Subtypes
- Cinder – incendiary cloud 1 / turn
- Lava – 1d6 heat damage / round to all within 1′ radius / HD, form is that of an earth elemental instead of a fire elemental.
- Forge – heat metal on all weapons that strike it and all armour struck by it.
- Pyre – +1d8 damage versus undead and magic users
- Tinder – flashfire 1 / round
- Hearth – resist cold 10′ radius / HD
- Flare – Hits cause blindness unless a save vs death is made; casts pyrotechnics 1 / turn