When summoning air elementals in the B/X or Labyrinth Lord game, there is a chance of summoning a specific form of elemental suited to the environment in question. The DM determines what the most likely subtype to appear will be. There is a 50% chance that the appropriate subtype appears instead of a standard air elemental of the appropriate power.
There are 4 basic types of Air Elementals, typically determined by their summoning source.
- Lesser Elemental (Summoned by Staff) – 8 HD, AC 2, 1d8 damage
- Greater Elemental (Summoned by Devices) – 12 HD, AC 0, 2d8 damage
- True Elemental (Summoned by Spells) – 16 HD, AC -2, 3d8 damage
- Legendary Elemental (Summoned by Ritual) – 20 HD, AC -4, 4d8 damage
Standard air elementals take the form of a whirlwind 2′ tall per and 2′ diameter per hit die. They fly at a movement rate of 360′ (120′). Creatures of (1/4 elemental’s hit dice) or fewer hit dice are carried away if they are within the area of the elemental if they fail a save versus death. Damage from air elementals is increased by 1d8 points against aerial targets.
A spellcaster can learn (typically via a quest or magical tome) how to summon a particular subtype of elemental. In this case, if the proper environment is present, the summoning will always bring forth the desired subtype. A spellcaster can learn how to summon a number of subtypes equal to 1/2 his level.
Air elemental subtypes are treated identically to standard air elementals, but have one additional power as indicated below. Unless otherwise indicated, any spell-like abilities are treated as being cast by a spellcaster with a level equal to the elemental’s Hit Dice. Some spell effects are from the Advanced Edition Companion.
Air Elemental Subtypes
- Blizzard – 1d6 cold damage / round in a 2′ radius / HD
- Zephyr – doubles or halves flight speeds in a 20′ radiums / HD
- Storm – call lightning once per day
- South Wind – ends all hostile air effects (storms, cloudkill, wall of fog, etc) within 5′ / HD
- Pestilence – cause disease to all touched
- Fog – fog cloud 1 / turn
- Howling – temporarily deafens all within 2′ / HD, fear to those under 4 HD
- Gust – gust of wind 1 / turn