Before going into new material for the post apocalypse, I figured I should go through my old material to make sure I’m not re-doing anything I’ve already done.
So, previously on a Character for Every Game, we had the following post apocalyptic material – including a map and scenario, mini game reviews, and a bunch of characters for a variety of games.
Still one of the most popular articles on the blog. As a hard-core Gamma World fan, I list my top 5 non-Gamma World derived post apocalyptic RPGs, followed by 3 hot choices for the Gamma World fan.
This image-heavy set of articles examines what the world of Mutant Future (or Gamma World) would be like if it were ported entirely from the classic 1981 cult hit, Heavy Metal. A world both of mutants and wastelands, but also where some enclaves of civilization still exist like New York.
This map and adventure is systemless and useable with just about any post-apocalyptic RPG game. In it, the characters encounter a small garage fortress currently home to a scavenger gang who are trying to find fuel for the nearly mint condition truck hidden at the back of the structure.
My deadEarth Obsession
The horror. deadEarth was one hell of a strange post apocalyptic RPG. For a few weeks I found myself completely obsessed over the game – a process begun because I tried to make a sample character for it – but the sample character died during character creation. Then the second character died. And the third, while he didn’t die, was rendered basically useless. In the end I rolled up 5 characters for the game, dug up a pile of old products for it, and even wrote a “Top 5″ list for it. All of this is available below:
- Top 5 Reasons you should be playing deadEarth! (includes links to download all the books)
- Character 1: Rikki the dead beautiful eunuch butler
- Character 2: Headless Fred, the sneaky surrender-monkey
- Character 3: Last Chance Jones
- Character 4: Ian Jackson – The crotch-fungus GOD of deadEarth
- Character 5: Stumpy McStump – Fastest businessmidget on deadEarth
A short musing on why my go-to edition of Gamma World remains the third edition to this day, even if I am totally psyched by the existance of Mutant Future.
Post Apocalyptic RPG Characters
Since the inception of this blog, I’ve rolled up quite a few characters for a variety of post-apocalyptic RPGs (not counting the five I did for deadEarth). By the end of this month I’m hoping to add another bunch to this list.
- Francine “Franky” Moldvay (Cyborg Commando)
- Iron Joe, Mutant Trilobite (Gamma World 2e)
- Juniper the Mutant Bush (Gamma World 3e)
- Durgan Chirhill, Scientist of the Order of the Serpent (Hawkmoon)
- Lady Kneivel, Mutant Ladybug (Mutant Future)
- Dyson ToeCutter, Wasteland Bandit (Redline)
- Private Jean-Guy Levesque (Twilight: 2000 1e)