The warriors of all things just, and good… and often an excuse to be an annoying prat at the table. The Paladin is an oft-maligned class because some people can’t role play lawful good without it being lawful-pain-in-the-ass and lawful I-have-a-stick-up-my-ass. To add variety to this list of lawful alignments, here’s a d12 table of paladin subclasses!
Remember – if using these rules, all characters must have a subclass. If you really don’t want a subclass, petition the GM to let you take the focused subclass (Focused Paladin), which provides no new abilities, but instead makes leveling up a bit faster.
Paladin Subclasses (roll d12)
- Paragon of Virtue - Protection from evil effect is increased by 5′ at level 1, and an additional 5′ / 5 levels thereafter
- Demon-Hunter - +1 damage / 3 levels against demons, devils and similar extradimensional evils
- Sun Sword - Can turn undead as a cleric of equal level and cast light once per day
- Knight Errant - +1 to hit and damage from horseback, good judge of horseflesh (roll mount hit points twice, take the better)
- Zealous Champion - Can frenzy in battle 1/day: +2 AC, +1 to hit and damage
- Blessed Sentinel - -1 chance to be surprised
- Learned Warden - Can use clerical scrolls starting at level 1
- Oathbound Protector - Double the effect of lay on hands ability
- Penitent Crusader - d10 hit die (d12 if using advanced hit dice)
- Arcon of Law - Detect Evil and Protection from Evil also detect and protect from Chaos.
- Focused - +10% to earned XP
- Choose one or make up a new one