When summoning wood elementals in the B/X or Labyrinth Lord game, there is a chance of summoning a specific form of elemental suited to the environment in question. The DM determines what the most likely subtype to appear will be. There is a 50% chance that the appropriate subtype appears instead of a standard wood elemental of the appropriate power.
There are 4 basic types of Wood Elementals, typically determined by their summoning source.
- Lesser Elemental (Summoned by Staff) – 8 HD, AC 2, 1d8 damage
- Greater Elemental (Summoned by Devices) – 12 HD, AC 0, 2d8 damage
- True Elemental (Summoned by Spells) – 16 HD, AC -2, 3d8 damage
- Legendary Elemental (Summoned by Ritual) – 20 HD, AC -4, 4d8 damage
Standard wood elementals take the form of a treant-shaped humanoid 1 1/2′ tall per hit die. They move at a rate of 90′ (30′) and are never slowed by vegetation. Targets standing on grass, plants or wood suffer +1d8 damage from wood elemental attacks.
A spellcaster can learn (typically via a quest or magical tome) how to summon a particular subtype of elemental. In this case, if the proper environment is present, the summoning will always bring forth the desired subtype. A spellcaster can learn how to summon a number of subtypes equal to 1/2 his level.
Wood elemental subtypes are treated identically to standard wood elementals, but have one additional power as indicated below. Unless otherwise indicated, any spell-like abilities are treated as being cast by a spellcaster with a level equal to the elemental’s Hit Dice. Some spell effects are from the Advanced Edition Companion.
Wood Elemental Subtypes
- Thorn – can attack at a range of 5′ / HD (base damage only)
- Forest - entangle 1 / turn
- Fungal - stinking cloud 1 / turn
- Rose - allure (towards the controller) all within 5′ radius / HD
- Gallows - +1d8 damage to any creature with less than 1/2 hit points remaining
- Moss - attack as a rust monster 1 / turn
- Vine - ranged attack (2′/HD) draws target into contact with the elemental, further attacks don’t roll to hit.
- Rot - attacks warp wood on target and possessions